Close

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zephyr HxM Smart Heart Rate Monitor works great with Note II since Android 4.3

Greetings,

I ride a bicycle—a lot. In fact, I train for "century" rides which are 100-mile rides that must be completed during the daylight hours of one day. That's no biggie for serious cyclists but it keeps me in the saddle quite a few hours each week in order to get in shape. I use the Endomondo Pro fitness app to monitor my training and I've been wanting to try one of the new low-power heart rate monitors. Endomondo Pro uses it to more accurate calculate your calories burned and it plots a chart of your workout superimposed over a map of your route. Way cool!

But the new low-power devices like the Zephyr HxM Smart Heart Rate Monitor achieve their "low power" by using Bluetooth 4.0. It's much more efficient than previous versions of Bluetooth and both the monitor and your phone's batteries will last longer with it.

The Note II has always had hardware support for Bluetooth 4.0 but it lacked software support because Android 4.2 never had the driver for it. Since the update to Android 4.3 late in 2013, our Note II's finally have full software support for Bluetooth 4.0. Wahoo!

So I purchased the Zephyr HxM Smart Heart Rate Monitor and gave it a "try". It works great and, as far as I can tell, never misses a beat with my Endomondo Pro app. You can ignore the marketing poop that says this monitor is for the iPhone and iPad—all it really needs is Bluetooth 4.0 and software that supports it. It will work fine with any operating system as long as those conditions are met and the Note II with Android 4.3 does just fine! And if you are not a fan of Endomondo, you can choose from a variety of other Android fitness apps that are compatible.

Note: I recommend avoiding the Zephyr heart rate monitor marketed specifically for Android devices because it uses Bluetooth 3.0 and will consume battery power much faster.

I purchased my Zephyr HxM Smart Heart Rate Monitor via Amazon.com for just under $55 with free 2-day shipping via Amazon Prime. Not bad.

Kind regards, FirstLight
    Last edited by FirstLight; 05-16-2014 at 09:49 PM.

Remove Ads

Links