Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Netflix over MHL. Any fix yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Netflix over MHL. Any fix yet?

My wife and I are going on vacation soon and rather than pack the laptop and an hdmi cable for rainy day movie watching, I would like to simply take the mhl cable for my phone. With that in mind, I was wondering if anybody had found a fix for the aspect ratio problem the Netflix app has when mirroring to an external screen? Movies rented from the Google play store or streamed via the Hulu plus app display fine in the proper 16:9 aspect ratio. It seems to be a problem with the Netflix app itself which for whatever reason forces widescreen content to display in a 4:3 aspect ratio. This only happens on the external screen while the phone's screen continues to display in the proper widescreen format. A quick search reveals that this has been a problem for over a year which tells me that Netflix is in no hurry to get this bug ironed out (if they even know it exists). I'm really hoping some dev has worked on the app and uploaded a fixed version somewhere and I'm just having a hard time finding it.

Thanks everybody,
    Tony
    Last edited by tonyz2897; 04-02-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have Netflix and I have the MHL adapter but I've never tried to use it yet. One question, do you get the same results if you login to Netflx from a browser and play the movie that way? Or does that even work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly I've never tried. I would assume that in order to work you'd need a browser that supports the Microsoft Silverlight plug-in. I'm not sure if any of the Android browsers do. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the idea!

Reside In the Stratospheric City Galacticus Notus II (evicted from my Dell Streak)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad to find this discussion. Someone told me, alli needed was the hdmi cable. I've never heard of the second cable that also require a power source. How much is the MHL and are they sold at Best Buy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had about $14 in mine from Amazon. It's the mhl adapter built into an hdmi cable. It has a little pigtail coming out of the hdmi end with a female micro usb connector to plug the charger into. You can get them that way as a cable or you can get the mhl adapter by itself which requires a separate hdmi cable. The way I understand it, a tv that supports mhl can use a cable that doesn't need an external power source. This feature is only found in newer tvs. A tv with only standard hdmi ports requires the mhl adapter and the adapter itself needs to be powered which is why they have a place to plug a charger in.

Reside In the Stratospheric City Galacticus Notus II (evicted from my Dell Streak)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyz2897 View Post
    I had about $14 in mine from Amazon. It's the mhl adapter built into an hdmi cable. It has a little pigtail coming out of the hdmi end with a female micro usb connector to plug the charger into. You can get them that way as a cable or you can get the mhl adapter by itself which requires a separate hdmi cable. The way I understand it, a tv that supports mhl can use a cable that doesn't need an external power source. This feature is only found in newer tvs. A tv with only standard hdmi ports requires the mhl adapter and the adapter itself needs to be powered which is why they have a place to plug a charger in.
    Thanks for the confirm. I sill go on Amazon and order one. I have one of the latest flat models this year manufactured. I wonder if it will not need that power cord as youve said. I will get just in case my tv ends up quirky. Cant wait -o plug this baby up and watch netflix from the 'boobtoob'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'd be better off with the adapter even if your tv supports mhl. That way you could also use it on older models (vacation, visiting friends, etc). I'm sad to say you're probably not going to be happy with netflix because of the aspect ratio bug in the netflix app. Everything else works great though. I keep hoping it will be fixed in an app update but people have been complaining about this for a year now so I'm not holding my breath.

FWIW, I just tried watching through the browser on the off chance it would work. No dice. Trying to launch a video takes you to the system compatibility page. It looks like watching in a browser requires the silverlight plug-in as I suspected. From a search, an Android version of silverlight called moonlight was in the works but development seems to have stalled.
    Rico ANDROID likes this.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will make note so to be aware. Great tips and suggestions!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As it turns out Netflix over mhl wouldn't have mattered anyway. The cabin we rented had some 20th century relic of a tv with no hdmi port.
    Rico ANDROID likes this.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyz2897 View Post
    As it turns out Netflix over mhl wouldn't have mattered anyway. The cabin we rented had some 20th century relic of a tv with no hdmi port.
    ROFL. Now i know we live in a new era. Ive never heard a television referred that way. And we actually got to see and live that turning point when non-hdmi tvs gained that relic status

Name:  TV_animated_static.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  26.6 KB
    Last edited by Rico ANDROID; 04-14-2013 at 02:39 AM.
    tonyz2897 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links