Close

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Replacement Launchers and the Galaxy Note 2...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacement Launchers and the Galaxy Note 2...

Which launcher are you planning to use with your Galaxy Note 2 - will you stick with TouchWiz which is the stock launcher or will you add a 3rd party launcher such as Apex, Nova, ADWex, Go or Hax...

I have tested out a few launchers this morning and below is a brief review of each...if you test out any launcher, post it up in here as well!

ADWEx - newly updated and revamped. The possibilities are endless it seems with this launcher. My favorite was the added widget picker, very nice addition and to be honest, I liked it better than how Apex handles the widget picker. For those of you who don't know - the widget picker will only list the widget name once, you have to tap on a specific widget to show the multiple widgets available. This is less clutter in the widget popup box for you to scroll thru. When you first install ADWEx, there is a nice setup UI that you scroll thru making basic selections for how you want the launcher to be. There is the ability to change the icon images on the home screens with a double tap on the icon (some launchers, long press and select edit and then pick any icon picture you want). You are able to resize widgets as well as have overlapping widgets. You could not hide the notification bar by a specific selection, you have to set a gesture of swipe up / swipe down / etc in order to toggle the notification. The launcher was smooth with no redraws on wake or when returning home after being in an app. I did not check the compatibility of themes from previous ADWEx builds with the updated version - but I did notice that all of the themes I had installed for Apex where showing up in the theme area for ADWEx.

Go Launcher EX - the devs on this app do consistently update the app to try and improve user experience. They also have a tutorial for setup which makes the setup quick and easy. There is no widget picker in this launcher but the ability to change icons for apps on the homescreen is present as is hiding the notification bar. You can also resize widgets as needed and this launcher has several options for gestures as well. The launcher was smooth in action and again no redraws were present. Go Launcher EX probably has the greatest number of themes available in the market but most of these themes will play nice with the other launchers that are themeable.

Hax Launcher - this was posted in a separate thread and is still in Beta stages but I could see some definite potential for this launcher - especially if you wanted to keep to minimal screens. The dev is promising updates as he works on the apps so this will be a good one to review down the road. Since it is still beta - it did not have the ability to change icons on the home screens, resize widgets or additional gestures. The launcher was fluid in movement tho when scrolling between screens with no redraws.

Nova Launcher - definitely a nice launcher and usually my backup to Apex if I need a change. This launcher also includes the widget picker for selecting widgets if you select from the home screen or you can access them from the app drawer, widgets tab. Other features of the launcher - ability to edit icons on the home screen, resize and overlapping widgets as well as gestures. I did not find the ability to hide the notification bar but you can toggle it with gestures. Again, the launcher was smooth and no redraws that I noticed and can be customized with themes.

Apex Launcher - this is my favorite and has the widget picker, ability to hide the notification bar (access it with gestures) and change icons on the homescreen. You can also resize widgets and have them overlapping as well as add 1x1 widgets in the notification bar. This launcher is smooth, customizable with themes (compatible with most launcher themes to some extent), no redraws.

Again - this is just a very brief overview of the launchers...definitely check them out for yourself and I know there are tons of others that I did not install & try.
    Bkdodger, UltraDroid and sunsnow like this.
    Hakuna Matata

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to switch launchers ever so often. I have been switching between Nova and SPBshell on my Xoom the past few weeks. I was happy to see the ADWex updated. I havent had much chance to play with it since but It has so far gotten rid of a huge bug I had. I have to wait to get my Note to decide which will be my default launcher since I have never owned an Android phone. I am sure the Launchers, while being the same on tablet and phone, will also look different on each device. I say this because I am used to Landscape mode as opposed to portrait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacement Launchers and the Galaxy Note 2...

Haven't owned an android before, but when my note 2 arrives I am planning on trying out Nova Launcher right away. I prefer to do a lot more customizing and I have read great reviews for this launcher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use current go launder ex cause they've updated. I've tried nova, adw and apex. I like them all
    . Each one is unique in their own way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the option to hide unused apps in the app drawer--a big plus with Apex. Do any of the other launchers have a feature like this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice write up thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Batman fans might like "Batification - Bat your App - Notification Bar Launcher" saw it at the Amazon app store ... I am currently using Go Launcher EX. It's okay, will certainly give it and some of the other launchers a try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Replacement Launchers and the Galaxy Note 2...

I'm using nova on my note 2 after trying go launcher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Go and Adw in the past...been using holo HD on my charge and now on my Note 2...flexible, fast, no redraws. I will give Apex a look now too though.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiruss View Post
    I'm using nova on my note 2 after trying go launcher.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Links