Close

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Norton Mobile (2013) Paid Version / GN2 Android 4.1.2 Super High Resource Usage

Good day everyone,

Over the last few weeks, something has been drawing battery usage to a great degree. After much testing, deleting some apps, and disabling others, it came down to Norton as the true battery hog. This is the paid version included through the Norton 360 multi device 2013 software package. Even still for Android one must download it via Google and then through Norton sign-on it picks up the proper key for a full unlock and usage.

• The Norton Activity Log showed almost constant activities, 13:03, 13:14, 13:20, 13:49, and 13:58 doing Malware searches. Each day would generate several (3-4) pages of activity logs or more depending on other activities;
    • Battery usage was between 48% and 68% both figures are way too high for my liking;
    • Updates are (were/will be again) set to manual;
    • Even on very light usage days when the phone was not used, nor Internet accessed or WIFI wasn’t used or to such a small amount. Still the battery life would decrease from 100% to 56% in just 4-5 hours and then by evening down to 20% and near useless with the massive power draw going on.

This afternoon after scouring the Norton sites, I finally talked to support. Who after twenty minutes of chatting and reviewing much more information than what is given above told me to delete the app, reboot and re-install Norton Mobile.

Has anyone had a similar situation with an app or more specifically with Norton Mobile the paid version? At the moment, I am recharging and will re-install NM in a while.

I will add to this post once I've re-installed NM and test the usage. If it fails the test then NM will get a severe tongue lashing through a lousy review or two, lol.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I dont use that app lets see if somebody else chimes in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Norton products on windows are cpu hogs, so not surprising the mobile app would be too. Never used it though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if I've ever read anything good about any of the anti-virus apps.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was always told not to put them on a phone cause they cause problems

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    didnt even know there was a nortons app for android....i stink LOL
    STOCK AND NAKED

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK the no-brainer Norton battery hog test and investigation is over and to no ones surprise except for Symantec it seems it devours battery life by a whopping 62.5%. Since installation of the newest version of Norton Mobile Security including all updates it has logged 20 scans between the times of 13:38 - 18:05 each a minuet or longer. At the start of the installation (early afternoon) the battery was at 96% battery it is now at 42% since installation. This has been a light usage day for my phone.

I've sent in a report to Symantec however I am not keeping the app which is really too bad because I like the app with the anti theft app included as a full version freebie. Perhaps the freebie will stay active as it installed as a separate app.

Surprisingly the app when it was first installed this past Spring worked perfectly, no issues at all.

Thank you to those who read this post and to those who responded. I have to plug (40%) my massive GN2 battery in.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the follow up @Phil189
    "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm"

FOLLOW FORUM RULES HERE!!

Remove Ads

Links