User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Surviving the Android 4.3 Update with a Rooted Note II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your response. I am guessing that the step I would change would be

"Click on the "PDA" button and load the .tar.md5 image file. If your phone has Android 4.1.2, this will be file KIES_HOME_I605VRAMC3_I605VZWAMC3_1098177_REV04_use r_low_ship.tar.md5."

What would the file for 4.4.2 be though? Also is it true that safe root does not work for 4.4.2? Is there another way to root 4.4.2?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ggrant3876 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. If your Note II is rooted you just need to ODIN the stock 4.4.2 and reroot. Basically the same as above but using 4.4.2 instead of 4.3.
    Last edited by Lou89; 06-23-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonik View Post
    And I will add, safestrap does not work on 4.4.2 for the note 2.
    By safe strap do you mean safe root? And is there another way to root 4.4.2 on the note 2 i605? If there isn't is the because it's so new and no one has developed a way yet?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, he means Safe Strap - the application which permits you to load pseudo-roms on a phone with a locked bootloader.

GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou89 View Post
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread but you seem like the person to ask. Does this process work for installing the new 4.4.2 for the note 2? Obviously the rooting part is different but can I uproot and install 4.4.2 with this process while running 4.3? Would you happen to also know how to then root 4.4.2 on the note 2?
    Hi Lou89,

It's okay to resurrect an "old" thread. But it's not okay to quote such a large section of it. In the future, please refrain from such large quotes.

As you can probably tell from the responses so far, opinions vary. KitKat 4.4.2 had not been available to the Verizon Note II as an OTA update for very long. I, for one, do not have the answers. But I launched a new thread to address the subject here. Please keep an eye on it for future developments.

Here is the "skinny" of what I know at present (24-Jun-2014):

1 - Older methods of rooting (such as the SafeRoot and Safestrap methods) do not work for KitKat.
    2 - A new method called TowelRoot may work but no one has reported success with the Verizon Note II yet.
    3 - TowelRoot exposes an extremely serious security flaw and everyone who uses it successfully, must install a root gatekeeper like SuperSU afterward or any program can have root-level access. If they don't install SuperSU or an equivalent super user app, their phone will be wide open for any malicious app to do great damage.

My new thread on the subject includes lots of links for more information.

Kind regards, FirstLight
    Last edited by FirstLight; 06-24-2014 at 05:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstLight View Post
    Hi Lou89,

It's okay to resurrect an "old" thread. But it's not okay to quote such a large section of it. In the future, please refrain from such large quotes.
    Sorry about that, I will make sure it doesn't happen again. Thank you for your responses. Hopefully someone will test TowelRoot. Right now though I am stuck in a limbo because I ran SuperSU's full unroot feature thinking that would let me update to 4.4.2. Can I run Saferoot again while my phone is in this state and restore my phone to its rooted form in 4.3? Also, if I follow your instructions for updating to 4.3 can I restore my phone to the unrooted 4.3 by changing Part II Step 16 "Click on the "PDA" button and load the .tar.md5 image file. If your phone has Android 4.1.2, this will be file KIES_HOME_I605VRAMC3_I605VZWAMC3_1098177_REV04_use r_low_ship.tar.md5." If so what file should I choose instead of the one you listed? At that point I guess I could just update my phone with the OTA 4.4.2 and then wait to see if towelroot works.

Thank you for your help!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TowelRoot does not and will not work on the Note 2. It is for a different processor and thus a different kernel. Reroot your phone with safestrap, then freeze the app SDM 1.0. That will stop the update. That's it, don't make this complicated. It isn't.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lou89,

I don't think it will work. I don't think you can use those image files to revert to a previous version of Android. But I could be wrong. This would be a better question to ask the developer who provided them---I believe I have a link to his thread at the XDA Developers forum in one of the earlier posts in this thread.

As for 4.4.2, I just don't have an answer. You're on your own. You should ask these questions of the TowelRoot developer. I doubt that TowelRoot is specific to just one CPU as Tonik suggests because I've read of too many Android devices (phones and tablets) that are running KitKat and TowelRoot worked. I doubt they are all using the same processor. But he may be right that it isn't compatible with the Note II.

Personally, I'm not going to attempt to use TowelRoot until it is confirmed to work with the Note II. I can't afford to lose root-level access on my phone. So I'll be staying with the first Verizon OTA release of 4.3 until a root method has been demonstrated for the Verizon Note II with KitKat.

Kind regards, FirstLight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstLight View Post
    Hi Lou89,

I don't think it will work. I don't think you can use those image files to revert to a previous version of Android. But I could be wrong. This would be a better question to ask the developer who provided them---I believe I have a link to his thread at the XDA Developers forum in one of the earlier posts in this thread.

As for 4.4.2, I just don't have an answer. You're on your own. You should ask these questions of the TowelRoot developer. I doubt that TowelRoot is specific to just one CPU as Tonik suggests because I've read of too many Android devices (phones and tablets) that are running KitKat and TowelRoot worked. I doubt they are all using the same processor. But he may be right that it isn't compatible with the Note II.

Personally, I'm not going to attempt to use TowelRoot until it is confirmed to work with the Note II. I can't afford to lose root-level access on my phone. So I'll be staying with the first Verizon OTA release of 4.3 until a root method has been demonstrated for the Verizon Note II with KitKat.

Kind regards, FirstLight
    I can now Personally attest that Towelroot does not work on Verizon Note 2 i605 with Kit Kat 4.4.2. Any new developments?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Links