Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fr33d0m

Thread: Weak signal/weak antenna

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weak signal/weak antenna

I thought I had a problem with my sms but I have sense figured out that this is a signal issue as when I try to call it will not go through a few times and take a good 30 seconds to start ringing. Im usually working with 2-3 bars of signal strength but im out in the boonies far from any cell towers.
    I read on another fourm that samsungs are known for having weaker antennas than other brands of phones, has anyone seen this to be somewhat true?
    My past phone (HTC Thunderbolt) as terrible as it was never had signal issues like this...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are ya with Verizon? and Where on the Central Coast?

VZW has great 4g in some areas and in others I can barely pull any signal at all. Even my old Droid Razr had issues with signal in some parts of the County. I'm in SLO but spend alot of time riding in the North County and it goes from Great to none at all
    My Wallpaper Gallery - Formatted for the Note II
    http://www.note2forum.com/forum/galaxy-note-2-graphics/2736-my-wallpaper-gallery.html#post35847

Experience is a cruel instructor
    First you take the test, then you learn the lesson!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah ya im in the outskirts of paso, 4g seems to be ok but Im talking about actual cell service, thats what it uses for calls and sms right??

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idssuck805 View Post
    ah ya im in the outskirts of paso, 4g seems to be ok but Im talking about actual cell service, thats what it uses for calls and sms right??
    Yup, and if you're getting good 4G you shouldn't be having an issue with CDMA.
    Are you running stock or a ROM ? and under "settings/MoreSettings/MobileNetworks/NetworkMode" are you set to "Global" or "CDMA/LTE" ?
    http://www.note2forum.com/forum/galaxy-note-2-graphics/2736-my-wallpaper-gallery.html#post35847

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone always says how Motorola phones has such great RF, etc. In my experience, that is far from the truth. At home, we have 4G, but the 4G tower is farther away from our house than the 3G tower is. Upstairs in our bedrooms, we can get 3-4 bars of 4G signal. Downstairs, the 4G signal will be 1 bar and the 3G signal is 3-4 bars, so depending on how close we are to the windows at the front of the house, the phones will constantly switch between 4G and 3G. For LTE phones, we have used the Bionic, Razr Maxx, Rezound, Thunderbolt, Galaxy S3, and Galaxy Note 2. Out of the 6 phones, in our experience, the Razr Maxx had the worst performance and the Bionic was the next worse. Depending on where we walk around inside our house, the connection will switch between 4G, 3G, and 1x. In between switching, many times it will pop into "no data connection" where it is connected to neither 4G, 3G, nor 1x. The Motorola phones are clearly the worst at this. With the Motorolas, when it pops into the "no data connection" phase, sometimes it stays there for up to 15 minutes to half an hour before it regains the connection. When my wife first got her Razr Maxx, these periods of no data became so bad that we ended up exchanging it for another before the 14 day period was up (so we got a new handset). The new Razr Maxx wasn't much better. The Samsung's actually seem to be the best at the handoffs between the CDMA and LTE networks because the handoff period (where there is no data connection) lasts only a few seconds. With the HTC's, the handoff would last at most a minute.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes running stock ROM and im set to global, guessing it should be set to cdma/LTE?

Quote Originally Posted by CynKrzy View Post
    Yup, and if you're getting good 4G you shouldn't be having an issue with CDMA.
    Are you running stock or a ROM ? and under "settings/MoreSettings/MobileNetworks/NetworkMode" are you set to "Global" or "CDMA/LTE" ?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give CDMA/LTE a try - that's what I use locally, I will swith to Global when I go out-of-town, but CDMA/LTE seems to work best for me here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok great thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CynKrzy View Post
    Give CDMA/LTE a try - that's what I use locally, I will swith to Global when I go out-of-town, but CDMA/LTE seems to work best for me here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a bit south of you guys and from my personal experience, that noise about who has the best signal is just misinformed rumor mongering. Came off two moto's and I seem to get as good or better in weak signal areas like my office. One thing that did disturb me for a bit was that it seemed slow to recognize when I move outside to what usually is a better signal. I grabbed Network Signal Strength Pro from the market and under Radio Tools is a button to reset the radio. Once I did this, my problem cleared up.
    CynKrzy likes this.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr33d0m View Post
    Just a bit south of you guys and from my personal experience, that noise about who has the best signal is just misinformed rumor mongering. Came off two moto's and I seem to get as good or better in weak signal areas like my office. One thing that did disturb me for a bit was that it seemed slow to recognize when I move outside to what usually is a better signal. I grabbed Network Signal Strength Pro from the market and under Radio Tools is a button to reset the radio. Once I did this, my problem cleared up.
    Howdy Neighbor,

I think Samsung has come a long way improving their radios. My Galaxy Nexus had real difficulties in weak signal areas, and that's why I ended up with the Razr. This phone works as well as the Razr, and is a much better device all around than the razr.

I'll have to check out the app you mentioned see if can get even better.

Links