Close

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Trying to root my Note 2 and I think I broke it...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job! Congratulations. Make a Nandroid backup so you don't ever loose your settings again.
    Bkdodger likes this.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We are happy you got it...woohoo !!
    "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm"

FOLLOW FORUM RULES HERE!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation A Nice Little Story

Quote Originally Posted by Raiderxx View Post
    Thanks! I ended up following those instructions and pretty much wiped my phone.. Google remembered my settings and contacts (and everything else super important was on my sd card) so yeah. I followed the instructions and then rooted my phone again and proceeded to move all my apps back to where they were. Thanks for the help!

Not the ideal luck unfortunately.. It sounded like I soft bricked my phone, so there was no way to get out of the boot loop without wiping my phone (which I ended up doing). I used the above quoted guide and then in section 1b I used the Alternate Restore file and proceeded to wipe my phone and the subsequently root it. Root66 (which is not supposed to wipe your data) did not work. Hope that helps!
    Hi

Read this and had to comment.

Few little things you should know.

-When rooted you CAN NOT ota update. losses root and bricks you phone if your lucky.
    -ADB will only work in recovery or with the phone turned on. (Hence the ADB waiting/Device not found)
    -When flashing through odin you are flashing system files/data/efs and all the other important **** in the phone. Odin.tar files are also version specific so flashing a root for 4.1.1 may not work for 4.2.2

for future reference to update your chef cooked rom or stock rooted firmware you need to download a flashable zip of the rom you want and flash it through custom recovery like cwm or twrp. You will then need to wipe dalvik cache. Now beware! this is known as a "Dirty Flash" and is never recommended as apps and config files may not be suitable with the rom you are installing.

If you MUST flash an OEM file with odin this WILL wipe everything! OTA updates will work on certain roms but should never be done.

If you need to re root you device use Samsung galaxy toolkit and follow instructions. DO NOT do odin root process, this is a very outdated and tbh useless process. you should be either flashing superuser with custom recovery or follwing the process in the toolkit.

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah do a nand backup aswell so nexttime you can simply restore.

Kris
    UltraDroid likes this.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klashnikoff View Post

If you need to re root you device use Samsung galaxy toolkit and follow instructions. DO NOT do odin root process, this is a very outdated and tbh useless process. you should be either flashing superuser with custom recovery or follwing the process in the toolkit.
    I used Adams casual root method w/ Odin. It was pretty simple & effective. I had to unlock the bootloader with casual anyway. It was quick. I think the toolkit works better with gsm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Links