Close
Register at Galaxy Note2 Forum

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Move Apps to SD card (Directory Bind)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Move Apps to SD card (Directory Bind)

Most may already know of this work around but Its a first for me and had I not found this app, I would most likely passed up getting the GNote2. After the past few weeks of researching, I finally came up with a definitive answer. The GNote2 will ONLY be releasing with 16gb of storage. The 32gb is expected to be released much later. I am in the market for a new phone now and cannot wait a few more months. 16gb is just not enough storage for me. According to reviews of the international GN2, 5gb are taken before you ever turn on the device. And thats not including Bloatware that US companies add. Since Jellybean most, if not all devices have ended the ability to move apps to sd card to free up space. But Alass Directory Bind comes to the rescue.

While the video shows this on the GNote1, I have read on XDA that this does indeed work on GN2. You will need to be rooted in order to achieve this. Below is the direct link to the XDA page where you can download this and all instructions are available as well.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1410262

I know many people like me are dropping iPhone and coming to phones like GS3 and GNote2, so I think this could be very useful to us newbies and possibly some veteran android users who somehow was unaware of this important tool. Had I not found this, I know I probably would have just said forget it and went with the iPhone 5. I would not have been happy with that, but I would have at least had room for all my games.
    Phil, CrashMurdock and Astrix like this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is another option that seems to be much easier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to move apps over to the SD card also. Pizentu's youtube looks like a simple workaround - looks like something that can break my OS if though - I am not super aware of things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Thx, one of these is solution that i need, but...

I too was on the fence, iPhone 5 or Galaxy Note II, and I am totally confused re: internal storage, SD0, and ExtSD. I have a fast 32gb sd card recognized as ExtSD, but none of the apps that I need to see it, see it! For example, Eltima SyncMate is just addressinge /storage/sdcard0/ and not ExtSD. So, I figure option 2 in this post might be a good solution, but fooling the OS into thinking that ExtSD is really sdcard0 seems like a silly idea... I mean what happens with an app like Titanium Media Sync, which I have installed and is syncing the ExtSD to Dropbox, tries to sort things out? I guess one would have to be aware of default storage locations for all apps... hmmm...

Option 1 (the first video) looks interesting, but I don't have a clue yet how to install an apK zip. The Galaxy Note II Toolkit, which I used to root the phone, shows that option as "coming soon." ha!

Well, I am a noob on android (after years of jailbreaking iphones to work in Asia) so any help / advice is appreciated. thx!
    jigs
    Last edited by herojig; 11-22-2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: fudged apk

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herojig View Post
    I too was on the fence, iPhone 5 or Galaxy Note II, and I am totally confused re: internal storage, SD0, and ExtSD. I have a fast 32gb sd card recognized as ExtSD, but none of the apps that I need to see it, see it! For example, Eltima SyncMate is just addressinge /storage/sdcard0/ and not ExtSD. So, I figure option 2 in this post might be a good solution, but fooling the OS into thinking that ExtSD is really sdcard0 seems like a silly idea... I mean what happens with an app like Titanium Media Sync, which I have installed and is syncing the ExtSD to Dropbox, tries to sort things out? I guess one would have to be aware of default storage locations for all apps... hmmm...

Option 1 (the first video) looks interesting, but I don't have a clue yet how to install an apK zip. The Galaxy Note II Toolkit, which I used to root the phone, shows that option as "coming soon." ha!

Well, I am a noob on android (after years of jailbreaking iphones to work in Asia) so any help / advice is appreciated. thx!
    jigs
    Welcome to the forum

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tried this method on the Note 2?

Pizentu and CrashMurdock like this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely ignored anything that said Gameloft to SD because I thought it ONLY moved Gameloft games. Thanks for posting, or else I never would have watched it. It looks easier to do than Directory Bind. Im going to have to try it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Please report back when you try it! Would love to know if it works well.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I finally rooted last night and used GL to SD app from my post above. I moved the data from 3 games over to my SD card. So far so good. All my saved games are still there and the games play smoothly. I'll test them some more this weekend. Freed up over 3 gigs on my internal memory!
    Bkdodger likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so happy to find this App, popped in a 64gb SD and saved a ton of space on my phone.
    How stupid of them to disable this feature.

~CyberHank
    TSman74 and CrashMurdock like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links