Close
Register at Galaxy Note2 Forum

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How Best to Sync Outlook Calendar with Note 2?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How Best to Sync Outlook Calendar with Note 2?

I synced my Microsoft Outlook 2007 calendar with my Note 2 soon after obtaining the phone, using Samsung's KIES software. I can't quite remember the exact settings I used but it was designed to sync only in one direction, from the PC to the phone. For some unlnown reason, I ended up with a lot of duplicate calendar entries on the Note 2.

I have now tried to re-sync my Outlook calendar with the phone and got a worrying message that read something like "over 50% of the Outlook calendar has been deleted". I took an obscurely worded option that appeared to be a way of reversing the sync I had just done. Thankfully, my Outlook calendar still seems to be intact.

Being somewhat paranoid about the potential loss of all my Outlook calendar entries (though I do have a pretty recent backup), I am now looking very carefully at all the sync options on KIES and it is very confusing. There are clear syncing direction options for Contacts, with choices of Apply to both device and Outlook, Apply to device only and Apply to Outlook only. However, there are no such options for Calendar syncing. There is an option to 'Add schedules created on the device to the following Outlook folder' for which there is only one unavoidable choice, i.e. 'Personal Folders>Calendar'. There is also a checkbox to 'Sync the Outlook folder with the device calendar'. These options imply that syncing calendar changes from the phone to Outlook is unavoidable, while the other direction is optional. Is that correct?

Outlook is my master calendar. I do not want to copy anything from the phone to Outlook. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to configure KIES to sync the Outlook calendar with the phone purely in a PC to phone direction?

David

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard David!

Here is a good site that shows what options are available... Sync Android/Droid with Outlook/Exchange

I sync thru Google Calendar which works nicely but some people want to avoid the Google middleman...
    BayouFlyFisher likes this.
    Hakuna Matata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smalltowngirl13 View Post
    Welcome aboard David!

Here is a good site that shows what options are available... Sync Android/Droid with Outlook/Exchange

I sync thru Google Calendar which works nicely but some people want to avoid the Google middleman...
    Hi and welcome to the board!!

I use Outlook as well and did exactly the same as STG. I setup my sync through Google and it has always worked flawlessly for me. Hope you find a system that works for you!

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had already made a brief visit to the syncdroid.net website. It seems to do a good job of feature comparison (especially if you pay for premium access) for loads of sync software options but doesn't provide any guidance on their relative quality or ease of use. Exactly which sync software have you found to work well with Outlook/Google and the Note 2?

David

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used gSyncIt since the original Droid days - it has always worked flawlessly for me (I use it contacts)...as mentioned earlier, if you are looking for just the calendar you might try this link... https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gappssync (here is additional info - http://support.google.com/a/bin/answ...answer=2716936 - that they removed the previous "google sync" which is what I used)...
    Hakuna Matata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion but I note that gSyncIt costs $19.99 and does not appear to offer a trial version. I don't mind paying but only if I am certain it meets my needs. That decision may therefore take some time. The Google Apps Sync option requires paying $5 a month, which is more than I am prepared to spend.

Does no-one here have enough experience with Samsung KIES to say if it will do what I want? If not, then I guess I will just have to make an up to date backup of Outlook and give KIES another try, despite the confusing configuration settings.

David

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion but I note that gSyncIt costs $19.99 and does not appear to offer a trial version. I don't mind paying but only if I am certain it meets my needs. That decision may therefore take some time. The Google Apps Sync option requires paying $5 a month, which is more than I am prepared to spend.

Does no-one here have enough experience with Samsung KIES to say if it will do what I want? If not, then I guess I will just have to make an up to date backup of Outlook and give KIES another try, despite the confusing configuration settings.

David
    I share your concern. A sync software may sync in the wrong direction and erases good data. The solutions you found are way more expensive than I am willing to pay. I searched in Google Play and found this app, "Outlook Calendar Transfer Sync". This app allows me to set the sync direction. I have used the trial version and it works every time. I came to this forum for a free solution. I guess this app is as close as I can get ($2). Here is a link for the trial version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...AL.Trial&hl=en

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by franktruffer View Post
    I share your concern. A sync software may sync in the wrong direction and erases good data. The solutions you found are way more expensive than I am willing to pay. I searched in Google Play and found this app, "Outlook Calendar Transfer Sync". This app allows me to set the sync direction. I have used the trial version and it works every time. I came to this forum for a free solution. I guess this app is as close as I can get ($2). Here is a link for the trial version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...AL.Trial&hl=en
    Thanks for that tip, Frank. I have just requested the trial app from Google Play and will check it out tomorrow.

David

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @franktruffer Welcome to the forum!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, thank you guys for the great forum.

Even though original post is a few months old, I came here searching for an alternative to Kies for Outlook sync. Now coming back to report on a great piece of software that I found. And this software is

Akruto Sync

My main criteria were accurate and reliable synchronization. I have to note that I rely on Outlook as my main database for my calendar and contacts. I have accumulated a lot of data in Outlook over the years, starting with Outlook 2002 and now on Outlook 2013. To give you an idea, I have over 2200 contacts in Outlook. Akruto Sync handles this amount of data very well. Most importantly, all my data is synchronized accurately. Akruto Sync synchronized my calendar very accurately, including recurring events. Event notes are synchronized, just like notes in my contacts. Accuracy of synchronization for contacts is also impressive. Multiple email addresses per contact, multiple mailing addresses, pictures, birthdays and so on are all synchronized.

To put it simply, I get an exact replica of my Outlook database on my Note 2, with the obvious limitation that Note 2's calendar and Contacts are missing some of the fields found in desktop Outlook.
    Even though I have a lot of data in Outlook, sync process is very fast, because Akruto Sync transfers only what has changed since the last sync. So if I only change a few items on the phone and a few items in Outlook, Akruto Sync completes the synchronization in a matter of seconds. It doesn't need to transfer all my data every time I sync.

I had a few questions about the program, so I emailed Akruto support and got a reply within hours (with the answers I liked This is the kind of support organization I wish some big companies had.

This program is not free, but considering how much time I spent looking for a reliable way to synchronize my Note 2 with Outlook, to me it was well worth the money. I have been using Akruto Sync for about a month and have not had any duplicates or missed items This is simply the best calendar and contact sync option out there.

Frank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links