Close

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GT-N7100 Hard Brick, No Root

Hey guys, so I've read plenty of articles and forums searching for an answer and to no avail. It seems every time I have a technical issue it's under the most narrow set of circumstances! So I bought this Galaxy Note 2 second-hand, and it's up to me to fix it, for I reside in beautiful South America, where unfortunately, being familiar with Google has me playing teacher to individuals with decades of "experience", across various fields (i.e. recounting the steps I had taken to revive a soft-brick to the tech, even gave them an extra day, only to return to hear he tried charging the phone. It's absolutely maddening.)...and now I get to play technician! Hopefully I learn something.

What we're working with: I can't recall what version of android specifically, but at least Jelly Bean. 16gb internal. Gyroscope/Accelerometer previously ceased to function (confirmed in test mode when dialing *#0*#), I believe as a result of the shoddy service provider update. Frequently enough I monitor processes, which seems to be beneficial in the event that this was caused by the eMMC "insane" chip found in the earlier Note 2 models. The phone may have had some infrequent, random resets at times, but I've experienced that across devices as far back as the Captivate, and never happened while the phone was in use.

What happened: No symptoms the day of the bricking. The phone was previously in my pocket during what I can imagine was an intensely humid outdoor workout, but was working fine throughout. It was simply sitting on my desk, I received a few messages and hit the home button to read, but no response. The blue text indicator was taunting me with it's flash, but no response otherwise. Thought little of it, computers freeze. Took battery out, replaced it, and now, zero signs of life. The indicator gives no indication of charge, nothing. The typical hard brick, sans the rooting!

What I've tried: Took the phone to a Samsung service center, plus another technician, and they both identify the battery is in top order. None of the volume key, home button plus power combinations have any effect, with, or without the battery and charging cable, and the computer recognizes nothing.

My main suspect is the eMMc chip sudden death syndrome. To my understanding this has to do with the memory being overloaded and corrupted, and might require a motherboard replacement. I've repaired computers and phones before manually, so I'm currently going to try my hand with disassembly, checking connections, water scoring (although the indicator remains white), etc.

Had I rooted my phone I'd say perhaps I deserved this fate, but it had been functioning near perfectly until the present. There has to be others with this rare issue, hopefully we can solve this and save a lot of hair-pulling, sobbing, and outreached hands to the heavens.

Thank you for any input, community. Somebody please toss me a sanity preserver here.
    Last edited by MtheInsomniac; 03-27-2015 at 05:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *UPDATE*

Disassembled everything, saw no scoring on the circuitry (Photos available). Cleaned everything with isopropyl alcohol just to be sure.

Some resources suggest that disconnecting the power connections and re-assembling will solve the issue. I'll be contacting another technician hopefully with access to soldering equipment.

We're going to give this bad boy fix a try:

Replacing the corrupted eMMC flash memory chip with one such as this: KMVTU000LM B503 KMVTU000LM eMMC for Note 2 N7100 Flash Memory with firmware-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

A much cheaper process compared to replacing the entire motherboard. Will post results.
    Last edited by MtheInsomniac; 03-27-2015 at 10:41 PM.
    * No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Remove Ads

Links