Close

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Go Launcher Help ... Well .. Themes Help :)

Hi there

Most of you have seen the theme that I am using. (if not then see other threads if you want)

I use go launcher.

My Question is, I know I can back up the settings in go launcher. Is there a way, without rooting, to actually back up all the settings?

By this I mean I have created icons using metrostation icon pack, I also have titles using simple text, also multipicture live wallpaper settings etc.

Basically, what I want to do is try a different style. Like go more minimalistic, delete a few screens (as i have 9), maybe delete a few icons, even change the icons look etc

Is there a way to back up my current set up and then start a fresh. And then if I want to I can just revert back to the old set up?

LOL i hope that makes sense??

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the GoLauncher preferences menu there is a backup option. I just did a simple test, did a backup, then changed one of the icons on my doc, then restored and it was back to the pre-backup icon.

But it didn't do such a great job of restoring my only homescreen widget. There is a GoBackup Pro that doesn't require root, not sure if that works any better.

Best advice is un-lock and root the beast then you can backup and restore using recovery. That is the most complete without question
    My Wallpaper Gallery - Formatted for the Note II
    http://www.note2forum.com/forum/galaxy-note-2-graphics/2736-my-wallpaper-gallery.html#post35847

Experience is a cruel instructor
    First you take the test, then you learn the lesson!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CynKrzy View Post
    In the GoLauncher preferences menu there is a backup option. I just did a simple test, did a backup, then changed one of the icons on my doc, then restored and it was back to the pre-backup icon.

But it didn't do such a great job of restoring my only homescreen widget. There is a GoBackup Pro that doesn't require root, not sure if that works any better.

Best advice is un-lock and root the beast then you can backup and restore using recovery. That is the most complete without question
    I don't really understand rooting ... Its not like jailbreaking where you have cydia to download things .... not done much research on the matter but It looks to me there are different 'roots' for different carriers? and some work well and others don't?

Is rooting basically changing the whole software on the phone? Or is it just standard like if you root you get a software like cydia that you download and use ... the main thing is I don't see what rooting can accomplish when I can do similar things with go launcher? I guess you could get third party apps? but I have unticked that option to only allow apks from google play ... still a newbie to android ... sorry going off topic a bit ...

... i did back up using go launcher but not sure if it works for my needs. I guess wouldnt take too long to put everything back as metrostation saves the images to the gallery and simple text saves presets. Just a pain in the ... lol

Thanks
    Last edited by mrfatty1984; 12-29-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Go Launcher Help ... Well .. Themes Help :)

Rooting would help with things like ad blocker.. Freeze apps like Verizon ones you don't want running with an app like titanium backup.. Apps are still the same as when you get them now from playstore .. Also you can use a mod to get rid of let's say that pesky wifi icon on drop down.. Also run a custom ROM (Root and unlock) which gives us custom kernels.. I don't use go launcher but Nova has a save backup of launcher settings as well.. I can restore to previous version.. Widgets usually you have to replace on screens (Nova has a cool feature where it will remember where the widget was placed.. You tap it to restore most)..
    "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm"

FOLLOW FORUM RULES HERE!!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the rooting/unlocking front... it basically allows you to do whatever you want to your phone without restriction, though that does put the responsibility of knowing what your doing on you. By preventing root access the mfg is protecting them& you from you.

By unlocking the bootloader you can install what is called a custom recovery that then allows you to install system software including custom versions of the OS (ROM).

The methods to unlock and root do require a bit of knowledge that is fairly easily gained by reading and at this point have become stable.

You are correct you can do 90% of the things you want without root, however that 10% is quite cool.

Take your time, don't do it if you aint comfortable or ready, because unfortunately there is always a slight chance of turning a really cool phone into an really expensive paperweight.

I always take screen shots of all my homescreens before I set out on a new layout or install a new ROM ... that way I can go back and re-do what I un-did
    My Wallpaper Gallery - Formatted for the Note II
    http://www.note2forum.com/forum/galaxy-note-2-graphics/2736-my-wallpaper-gallery.html#post35847

Experience is a cruel instructor
    First you take the test, then you learn the lesson!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    one more thing ... do you know the go launcher back up ... well it saves to the sd card ....

... is there a way to extract it from the sd card to save as a back up on my computer?

This way I could have different go launcher set ups ... if that makes sense ...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CynKrzy View Post
    On the rooting/unlocking front... it basically allows you to do whatever you want to your phone without restriction, though that does put the responsibility of knowing what your doing on you. By preventing root access the mfg is protecting them& you from you.

By unlocking the bootloader you can install what is called a custom recovery that then allows you to install system software including custom versions of the OS (ROM).

The methods to unlock and root do require a bit of knowledge that is fairly easily gained by reading and at this point have become stable.

You are correct you can do 90% of the things you want without root, however that 10% is quite cool.

Take your time, don't do it if you aint comfortable or ready, because unfortunately there is always a slight chance of turning a really cool phone into an really expensive paperweight.

I always take screen shots of all my homescreens before I set out on a new layout or install a new ROM ... that way I can go back and re-do what I un-did
    Yeah I think its very minimal things you can do. The reason is as the play store is not moderated as much or has a strict hand than apple does. That is one of the major plus points of android You would have to jailbreak to get some of these cool features. I think rooting is more for the techies who want to fully customize the phone ... still don't quite understand what rooting would accomplish other than this.

I guess back in the days it was usefull but looks like progress has been made by android and googles policy of let it be has worked. So much flexibility on android for developers. Im no IT technician or anything, this is just what I seem to judge. I think the main thing I would root for would be the backup facility ... if an app comes out for that it would be sooo coool.

Remove Ads

Links