Close

User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mountainbikermark

Thread: Better To Have it and Not Need it Then Need it and Not Have it.

Super Moderator mountainbikermark's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better To Have it and Not Need it Than Need it and Not Have it.

Ever since my cigarettes got soaked on a white water rafting trip in West Virginia back in the 90s I've always carried a Ziploc sandwich bag wherever I go just in case something needs to get stashed to prevent it getting wet. It has saved my phones countless times over the years, along with other valuables when it rains or protecting from wind blown sand at the beach. My middle daughter dropped an old phone in a fast moving creek once and her phone was gone forever. We never did find it. Fortunately I had on old phone she used as a backup until contract renewal time. My daughters now carry a Ziploc sandwich bag in their change/id bags.
    The other day it starts to rain heavily while I was out and about so I grab my trusty Ziploc bag, go to put my phone in and.... uh oh! The beast will not fit!! Luckily I had a grocery store plastic bag in the truck, wrapped the phone in that before exiting the truck in the deluge.
    While at the grocery store yesterday I noticed they have sub sandwich Ziploc bags so I grabbed a box of them. They're the same as regular sandwich bags only phablet sized .
    With the prices of these things and the hassles if anything goes wrong it's, for me, well worth keeping a .20 bag in my pocket(folded up in my wallet) and/or truck.
    Last edited by mountainbikermark; 10-09-2013 at 12:54 PM.
    LITBMED and cali like this.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sir, you are a genius!!:thumbup:
    Iphone 6s + 128GB
    Samsung Galaxy Note II X 3 and Galaxy Note III(x2) Plus .. GN4/GN Edge
    Motorola Xoom Tablet... Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
    Samsung Gear S x 2
    Samsung Flip Phone-SGH-X427 (used as an Alarm only, Not to mention I bought it(x2) new lol)
    (Original) BB Storm owner
    (Original) Pink RAZR(Ahem! not mine, the wife's lol )
    Wanna know more about your note 2? http://www.note2forum.com/forum/gala...-note-2-a.html

Super Moderator mountainbikermark's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 2003 some may remember Hurricane Isabel devastating much of Virginia and North Carolina power grid. A few days before it hot I took several gallon sized freezer bags, filled them 3/4 with water then put them in the freezer. After we lost power I put them and all the cold stuff in coolers. As the meat thawed over several days we'd grill it. The day (day 5 if memory serves) we got power back I was down to only chicken legs and thighs left to grill but the milk and other cooler needed items were fine and the block ice I'd made let me keep the food in the coolers overnight once more until the fridge and freezer got cold enough to work well. I'd had to keep their doors open so they wouldn't mildew in the heat with no power.
    Those same bags worked again when Irene hit in 09 and we lost power for several days again Several 1 day or less outages due to named storms, thunder storms, ice storms , trips to the beach, camping, etc. in between also . That,I believe, is the most ingenious use of a Ziploc bag. I don't remember where I got the idea but it wasn't mine on the frozen bags.
    I did break down and buy a generator after Irene but that was more because the wife gets really grumpy without her coffee in the morning

Remove Ads

Links